Saturday, August 15, 2009

Zero Tolerance

With high hopes of correcting Big Boy's suddenly-outrageous and terrible behavior, I have implemented a Zero Tolerance policy with regard to the four-rule Rule List we came up with (and ceremoniously decorated).
The rules:
1. Be a Good Listener.
2. Talk Nicely to Everybody
3. No Throwing Things
4. No Hitting, Kicking or Scratching (Big Boy came up with that one on his own).
If Big Boy breaks a rule he either gets timeout, or I take something away (like one of the two stories we read before naptime and bedtime).
Unfortunately (or fortunately) I've found that this Zero Tolerance Policy means Big Boy is on timeout most of the day.
Yesterday Big Boy got out of bed at about five minutes to seven.
He was on timeout by 7:05.
"Was that a throw?" I ask as a truck flies across the room.
"Yep."
"Timeout."
Then he gets on timeout and immediately says, "I'm sorry for throwing the truck, Mommy. Can I get off timeout?"
I set the timer so he knows when he can get off timeout.
Then, when the timer goes off, he says, "I'm sorry, Mommy. What am I sorry for?"
"For throwing the truck."
"I'm sorry for throwing the truck, Mommy."
"Okay. You can get off timeout."
He gets off timeout and starts picking leaves off the plant.
"Please stop picking leaves off the plant."
(No Change)
"Please leave the plant alone. You are not being a good listener. That is the first rule on our list."
(No Change)
"Timeout."
"Sorry for pulling leaves of the plant, Mommy. Can I get off timeout?"
Who knew it would be so hard to follow four rules?

No comments:

Post a Comment