Monday, August 24, 2009

"Newlyweds"

I've been doing this new thing where I take my computer and go to a coffee shop and work for several hours, sipping a coffee, powering through my writing with no laundry, dishes, children or dogs to distract me.
I did this on Saturday afternoon, and partway through my writing, I saw a couple coming in the door. They were probably in their late 70s or early 80s, and they were holding hands as they walked through the parking lot.
He opened the door for her.
"Thank you, my dear," she said to him as she walked in.
"You're welcome, sweetheart," he answered.
They walked up to the counter, discussing what they'd order this time, and the guy working there asked if they'd have the regular. They said yes, and she went to sit at a table. Before she got there, she realized she had all the money, so she said, "Oh, honey, here you go," and gave him the money.
He paid and waited for their drinks while she sat down. He brought her drink to her, and she thanked him, so sincerely.
They started chatting it up with the kid who was working there, asking him the name of a newer employee who wasn't there that day. "He's a nice guy," said the kid. "I've known him for a long time."
"Oh?" the woman said, "for how long?"
"Since junior high," the boy answered.
"That is a long time," the woman said, then pointed to the man and added, "I've known him since junior high."
WHAT?!
The way these two had been acting, I could have sworn they were newlyweds or in the dating game. Nope. If my guess was right and they really were in their 70s or 80s, then they have known each other for 60 years or so.
And they chatted away the whole time they were there, talking about this and that ...
I just hope that after MrDartt and I have been married for that long, that we still hold hands, thank each other for things like opening doors and bringing drinks, and have conversations like we're just getting to know each other.
Who ever said romance was dead?

No comments:

Post a Comment