Monday, July 6, 2009

Superman in the ER

Yesterday was Big Boy's second trip to the ER.
It was my day to sleep in, and at 7:45 I heard Big Boy start crying, loudly. He was saying, "I want my grandma! I want my mommy!"
MrDartt came blasting through the bedroom door and announced, "I think we might need to take him to the hospital."
In my just-woken-up daze, I didn't see anything wrong, so I asked, "What happened?"
Just then, I saw the huge goose egg on Big Boy's forehead.
He'd been playing on the couch and he fell and hit his head on the coffee table. It immediately started swelling and it turned practically black.
We decided to take him to the ER just to make sure he didn't have a head injury -- with that much swelling so quickly, we thought, he must have hit his head pretty hard.
Of course he was wearing his Superman pajamas, so there were multiple crash landing jokes.
Then, when the nurse came in and asked him what happened before he fell, he said, "I was flipping over."
Then, the doctor came in and was chatting it up with Big Boy.
"Hey Superman," he said. He asked Big Boy a few questions and then asked, "Do you have any cool tools in your belt?"
"Just some guns," Big Boy said.
What is with this kid and guns? He's constantly talking about guns.
All's well that ends well -- Big Boy doesn't have a head injury. He didn't pass out or throw up.
They told us to watch out for irritability, but that is Big Boy's almost-constant state of being, so we weren't too concerned with that.
We ended up having a pretty nice day. We went to the donut shop after our hospital trip, and then we went to Peter Piper Pizza (it's kind of like Chuck E Cheese's, but not quite as cool) for dinner.
Big Boy is irritable right now. All's well.

1 comment:

  1. I think we might be taking a trip to the ER soon, the way the girls are playing on their new bunk bed!

    ReplyDelete