Friday, July 31, 2009

My son, possessed

Is there a moment, in every mother's life, when she wonders if her darling, love-filled, cherub-faced child, who was created in a moment of love and passion, may, in fact, be the spawn of some evil, sleep-swallowing force?
I have many such moments, as Big Boy is a very strong-willed child, full of energy (we'll call it that) and very stubborn.
One of those moments occurred last night. I was very tired yesterday because I went to a late movie with my mom. I know, I shouldn't complain, I chose to go to the movie. But I swore to myself that I'd go to bed early last night. So I was in bed, lights out, by 10:35.
At 1:30, Big Boy woke up. He was crying so I went into his room. He said he wanted to cuddle. So I cuddled with him. He said he needed more ice in his water. So I got him more ice. He said he needed a book. So I gave him the book. I said I was going back to bed. He said he wanted to cuddle some more. I cuddled some more. Finally, about about 1:58, I was back in bed. I must have fallen asleep because at 2:20 I was startled awake by Big Boy's screaming and running up the stairs. I got up and carried him back downstairs. He wanted to cuddle. I cuddled one more time. He wanted me to tell him what the words were on the first page of "Cat in the Hat," but I said no. You've got to put your foot down at some point, right? I told him, "I'm going to be tired and grumpy tomorrow, because you are keeping me awake. It is the middle of the night."
I know it's immature, but still.
So he started jumping out of bed, over and over, chasing me to the door, over and over, crying, half between screams and growls. Over and over. I put him back in bed over and over. He continued to scream/growl and then launch himself out of bed and jet toward the door. Over and over. It was weird. I was really beginning to think he was possessed.
Finally, I grabbed him by the sides of his face and said, "You need to stop."
He stopped crying. I started to walk out of his room and he started up again.
I went out and shut the door.
I texted MrDartt to tell him that his son is possessed.
MrDartt got home a few minutes later and I fell asleep at 3:30 a.m.
Little Boy woke up at 5 a.m.
Big Boy woke up at 6 a.m.
I am tired and grumpy.

No comments:

Post a Comment