Monday, May 4, 2009

Spring -- time to garden and work hard!

Yesterday, we spent the better part of the day relocating our garden (it's an above-ground garden, so we had to move the wood frame, all the dirt and a few plants like asparagus, chives, and cilantro). Last summer, I was pregnant, so I didn't participate in the manual labor too much. This summer, it's not so lucky. I don't like manual labor. I kept telling MrDartt, "This is hard. This isn't that much fun."
I was kind of joking because probably not that many people really enjoy shoveling, moving wheelbarrows, dumping wheelbarrows, digging rows in a garden, and dodging a two-year-old's hose spray. But I know it's stuff we have to do if we want a garden this year. And I do. It's such fun to go out to the front yard and get a huge zucchini to stuff for dinner, or a juicy watermelon to tear into over lunch.
Anyway, we had to move the garden so we can put the dog pen in a shady spot, and it was very important to MrDartt that we put the garden parallel to the propane tank. He is convinced that the propane company people spent two weeks deciding on the most inconvenient and ugly place to put the propane tank. So he did not want the garden placed haphazardly in relation to the propane tank. That tank is ugly, and having the garden placed hapazardly would make it even uglier.
We shoveled, wheelbarrowed, dumped, raked, shoveled some more. We planted, sprayed, raked, sprayed some more.
And at the end of the day, I felt so good, because moving that garden was a big project. Now we're all ready to get our new fruits and veggies planted. My muscles are tired, I got a nasty sunburn, and I broke several fingernails. But I feel good.
I admit that I would feel even better if my muscles were not sore and tired, I was not sunburned, and my fingernails were intact -- and the garden was already moved. But all in all, it was a good, productive day, despite the hard work.
I can't wait 'til summer, when we get to harvest!

2 comments:

  1. I need some fruits and veggies too! All I have is a bunch of flowers, quite pretty but useless. I'm glad I'm not the only person in my barely 20's who gets a kick out of gardening. By the way, how is your wisteria? Mine hasn't bloomed once!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of our wisteria plants -- the wimpy one that leafs out later and dies off earlier, bloomed this year! It had two or three sets of flower clusters -- and I think it's because of my aggressive pruning (that's what an article I read said to do if you want flowers!). So next spring, right before your wisteria leafs out, prune it aggressively. Pick a few main branches to save and cut the rest off!
    That's nice you have flowers -- bunnies and javelina eat ours.

    ReplyDelete