Monday, May 11, 2009

Customer Service

My mom's birthday and Mother's Day are periously close together.

This year, all us kids decided to get her a Nintendo Wii for both holidays. We don't usually combine the two but it gets difficult to think of something to get her and we thought if we all went in together this would give mom and dad something fun to do besides go to movies.

So, I was in charge of going to buy it. I stupidly went to KMart in Stupid Town. Every time I go there, about nineteen people are standing in the one open cashier line and about ten employees are wandering the store putting stuff away while the line extends.

I went to the electronics section where a gentleman was helping a young man and the young man's mother look at digital cameras. They were looking at a lot of cameras. I had big boy in a shopping cart and we walked up to the camera counter. The worker did not even acknowledge us for at least seven minutes. Then he said he'd be right with us. Then a teenaged boy came over and started butting in, asking the worker questions. Then the camera boy asked the worker questions. Then a teenaged girl came and asked the worker questions.

So finally, I said, "I just want to buy a Nintendo Wii, is there someone else I need to ask for help?"

"Oh!" He jumped as if he'd forgotten I was there and my question had startled him. He asked the camera boy and his mom if he could help me very quickly. So he put away the cameras and as he was walking over to help me, the teenaged girl from before cornered him and asked him a question. About a ten-dollar phone case. So what do you think he did?

I'll tell you.

He walked over with the teenage girl and helped her with phone cases for probably another five minutes. Then he walked back over to the camera counter and started talking to the interrupting teenaged boy about when he'd be working. The camera kid and his mom were still there. So I walked across the department, back to the camera counter and stood there for another three minutes before the worker asked me, "What did I forget?"

AHHHH! Are you kidding me?

So he forgot the $250 sale while he was busy helping to NOT make a $10 sale. The teenaged girl with the phone case didn't buy a thing.

He ended up being very nice and friendly after he finally got me the darn game and let me pay for it and get the heck out of there. But come on!

So for real this time, I will not be going back to KMart in Stupid Town. Ever. Again.

3 comments:

  1. It my just be my intolerance for stupidity- but I would totally not have bought the WII there, called the store manager, and then written a letter to the Kmart corporate office! That's ridiculous!!! I had a similar situation at a kohl's one time- nad I totally went home and immediately got online to complain! Funny thing was- on their website- you can't complain!!! My only option was to fill out a survey, which I did, hoping that there would be a space for comments on the end & there wasn't. I can only assume that these mass retailers are so accustomed to complaints about their subpar service that they've just given up caring or controlling the quality of service. It still made me feel better to complain, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I happen to hate the KMart in Stupid Town. It is always like that. But when I used to live there, I would shop there, only because it was closer than Walmart. Sad, but true, that I was supporting that wreck of a store.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, only go to that KMart because it's closer than Wal-Mart. Every time I go there, I swear I'm not going to go there again, but then I do, to save time. Ugh. And I always think of what I'd say if I wrote a complaint letter -- I get it all drafted up -- but then I never do it. Maybe I should start. You're right, these big boxes are probably used to bad comments about crappy service and also they know people will still shop there because of convenience and good prices. Ugh again.

    ReplyDelete