Sunday, May 3, 2009

Annoying Cute Kid stories...sorry!

It's so funny what a parent finds endearing about her own children. And probably kind of weird.
Example: the other morning when Big Boy got up, he came out of his bedroom (I heard his door close) and he was calling me. I walked to the top of the stairs -- his room is downstairs -- and he was standing at the bottom of the stairs, holding his giraffe and elephan-ant, wearing his sunglasses. He had this little sneer on his face, where his lips are kind of pursed but one side of his upper lip is up. He has that little sneer every time he wears his sunglasses, I think, to hold them on. Think Sylvester Stallone, three feet tall, with spiky strawberry blond hair, Superman pajamas, a huge stuffed elephant and a swaddled giraffe (yes, ever since we had Little Boy, the giraffe must be swaddled full-time). I saw my little boy down there, and he was just so cute, tears sprung to my eyes and I just wanted to run down and squeeze him.
Here's another one. The pediatrician told me to start letting Little Boy eat Cheerios. So since I'm a paranoid freak about choking, I give him half-Cheerios. He has finally learned to pick them up off his high chair tray, and knows they're supposed to go in his mouth, but can't figure out how to do that. So he picks them up and puts his whole little fist in his mouth. Then he sits there, fist in mouth, ears sticking out, looking at me like, "Now what?" It's just so cute!
Here's another one. (I know I'm doing that thing moms do where they talk about how darn cute their kids are, and I apologize, but they ARE!) The other night before bed, Big Boy wanted to read this one book, "The Word Book" that has all these pictures in it. Naturally, they're pictures of things a kid should know about, like "door," "potty," "soap," "house," etc. He calls it "The Potty Book." When we read it, I make up stories depending on the words/pictures on the page, so I'll talk about how Big Boy went to the park and saw his friends there and they looked at the pond and there was a duck on the pond and they fed the duck some bread but the duck wanted their soda or whatever. Anyway, he loves reading that book. So he wanted to keep reading it, and I said we were done reading but we could read more in the morning. So he pointed out all the pictures on the cover that he wanted to read about in the morning. He went to bed. The next morning, I hear his door open, and then I hear all this thumping. Then he starts crying. Then he's yelling, "Mommy! Mommy! I need help!" So I go downstairs and he's crying, trying to get through the door with his huge elephant, his giraffe, and that darn book, all of which he's dropped on the floor. First I hug him and say, "It's okay, I'll help you. That's a lot to carry." Then we gather up the stuff and I carry him upstairs to the couch. I just thought it was so cute that he remembered we were going to read that book, and then he remembered which order he wanted to read the stories in.
Last example: I took both boys to Home Depot yesterday because I wanted to buy some flowers. Spring Fever and all that. Since MrDartt wasn't there (driving his mom and her hubby to the airport), I put both boys in the seat of one of those car carts they have. Little Boy has never sat in one of those before; usually he's just getting carried or is in his infant carrier. So he's sitting there, all proud, with his hands on the steering wheel. Then he's getting bored, so he's reaching over and touching Big Boy. He's touching Big Boy's shirt, his seatbelt, his steering wheel. Then he's reaching down to touch Big Boy's leg, to grab onto his pants, whatever. Then, suddenly, he turns around, looks at me, and bursts into tears. Guess he wasn't ready for the big time. So I carried him the rest of the way and pushed that darn car cart (it's HUGE!) with one hand. Normally I run the hard line and the kids stay in the cart or their seats while we're shopping (give an inch, they take a mile, right?). But Little Boy was just so cute, I couldn't resist.
Okay, that's it for now. I'll give you a break from my cute kid stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment