Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Challenges from Big Boy

Big Boy notices everything.
He notices when I change the color of my toenail polish. He notices when I'm wearing my heart pajama bottoms and a blue tank top rather than the heart pajama bottoms and the proper heart pajama top. He notices when I put my hair up (and it's driven him to tantrums). He notices if I switch purses. He notices if I've put on mascara.
So I should not have been surprised this morning when we were watching Dora and he said, "Mommy, Dora is brown. Why Dora's brown, Mommy?"
But I WAS surprised!
I said, "Well, some people just have darker skin and some people have lighter skin."
He said, "We have lighter skin, Mommy. I wish I was brown like Dora."
"Well," I said, "You just have lighter skin and that's okay."
He said, "She has brown eyes. I wish I had brown eyes like Dora. You have green eyes, Mommy. I have blue eyes. I wish I had brown eyes like Dora."
"Well," I said, "Your eyes can see and that's important. It doesn't matter what color they are."
WHAT DO YOU SAY?
I'm finding, increasingly, that motherhood is requiring me to think a lot faster than I anticipated, and to question what I say more frequently.
I want to give Big Boy straight answers, but I don't want to say too much so he doesn't understand. But geez, he sure comes up with some challenging ones!

2 comments:

  1. yes, motherhood does make you think fast...and creatively. He sure is observant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...those of us with the brown eyes want blue or green eyes...I guess what you don't have is novelty? I love how you explained things. What a great mom!

    ReplyDelete