Monday, May 11, 2009

How Much Do You Know About What Your Spouse is Really Doing?

I know, I know, four years of marriage isn't that long, so I shouldn't be surprised that I'm still learning new things about him. MrDartt and I tied the knot almost four years ago, after having dated only five months. We met in the Costco parking lot (a story for another day).
Today, MrDartt got called in to work (it's one of his days off). He had to leave at 4 p.m. Of course, I had worked this morning, then MrDartt had a dentist appointment, and I had a TON of indoor stuff to do (paying bills, making phone calls, etc.). And of course the boys didn't want to sleep when MrDartt was gone. When he got home at 3 p.m., Big Boy just wanted to "play basketball," which really means he wanted to go outside and walk around on the hill and play in a big bush. And "go to work." And to the "hopsital" because "mommy's not feeling very well."
Sidetracked again.
So MrDartt told Big Boy he'd go outside with him. On his way out, MrDartt asked if I'd throw together a sandwich for him to take to lunch. I made a sandwich (MrDartt bought himself "luncheon loaf" and bought me real ham lunch meat because he knew I wouldn't eat the luncheon loaf). Then, I cut up some celery and put some peanut butter in a small container. Then, I threw in a yogurt. When I went to put a spoon in the front pouch of his lunch box, I found a seasoning shaker that MrDartt had filled with a mixture of salt and pepper.
I didn't even know he'd done that, and I just thought it was so cute!
My husband loves to salt and pepper. He believes that when you serve people food, you should have salt and pepper on the table in case they want it. He always wants it. He tastes his food before salting and peppering, don't worry -- he's not one of those people that salts and peppers with reckless abandon.
So today, while throwing together a quick lunch for my hubby, I learned something new about him. He carries a salt-and-pepper mixture with him to work. I can just see it now, him dipping a celery stick in peanut butter, then sprinkling a little salt-and-pepper on it. Or peeling off the yogurt lid and tossing in a little salt and pepper. Or perhaps he's salting and peppering his peanut butter and jelly. Now I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment