Monday, April 27, 2009

Potty Training

I’m not sure if I will make it through potty training. We just started, thinking Big Boy might be ready because he’s recently shown a lot of interest. He’s been waking up dry from naps. He knows before he goes.

Sometimes after he pees in the potty he wants to run around “naked,” which means he just wears a shirt. The other day he was “naked” and getting himself some water from the fridge. I saw that he was starting to make his pooping face so I asked if he had to go.
“I’m poopy, Mommy,” he said, freezing mid-water-dispensing at the fridge, spilling water on the floor.

So, thinking I was thinking fast, I quickly put the baby down and grabbed Big Boy’s hand, telling him this was a great time to go poop on the potty. So we rushed to his potty where he sat down and said he couldn’t do it and needed my help.

He never did poop in the potty but when I got back to the kitchen, I noticed a little turd on the floor.

“Is that my poopie, Mommy?”

“Yep!” (Remain calm. Pick up poopie with paper towel and carry to toilet to flush).

“What did you do with my poopie, Mommy?” (Near tears).

“I flushed it!”

Later, he wanted to pee on the potty. By the time I’d arrived there to monitor him, he’d removed the little shield thing from the potty and sprayed pee all over the floor and his pants and the bathroom rug. Remain calm. The books say you’re not supposed to say anything about pee or poop being yucky.

Remain calm.

“Well, looks like we need to leave that shield on there, huh?”

“Why’s that a shield, Mommy?”

“To keep your pee in the potty.”

“Why, Mommy?”

“So we don’t get pee on the floor.”

“Why we don’t get pee on the floor?”

“Because it’s … sticky!”

“Why’s it sticky, Mommy?”

3 comments:

  1. I am almost a little grateful we are not quite there yet. I am not sure that I am ready for all this yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great move MOM! You are an inspiration to all mommies! Keep up the good work. I am dreading potty training Ethan. Especially since Katie was a breeze!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who doesn't love poopies on the floor, Laura? And Sommer, I am dreading really potty training Big Boy, too. This has all just been pre-potty-training. I'll keep ya posted.

    ReplyDelete