Thursday, April 23, 2009

Honesty

One of my college friends, EM, is due to have her second baby mid-May. Here's what I like about her: she's honest with herself -- and I think that makes for a very unique, interesting and funny person. And probably for her, better relationships because she doesn't kid herself about why she does things.

A most recent example: she wrote me an e-mail, and mentioned that she doesn't want to risk going to her mom's art show two weeks before baby's expected arrival date because the art show is 90 minutes from her home.

To quote EM:
"I'm just nervous because they say your second baby comes faster than the first and I so don't want to give birth in the car. Okay, mostly I just don't want to miss out on the epidural, who cares if it's in a car!"

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I don't think everyone is that honest. Let's face it: I definitely have made weird excuses for not doing stuff I should do, or for not calling someone I know I should call -- rather than just admit that I don't want to do it.

But not EM. So my lesson for today (not to you, just to myself) is to be honest. With myself and with everybody else. Let's just hope I don't meet up with anybody unsavory.

No comments:

Post a Comment