Tuesday, April 28, 2009

HELP! with texting!

At this point in my life, I'm starting to feel old.

I need help with my texting etiquette.

First of all, IS there texting etiquette? If not, there should be.

So here's what happened. My sister-in-law texted me yesterday. I was doing some data entry at work and didn't have time to respond right away. I cannot text and drive at the same time so I answered her when I got home. Then, I started cooking dinner, and since I'm not that tuned in to texting in general, I kept forgetting to check whether she'd texted me back. So it was a long time between texts. I started feeling guilty that it was taking me so long to respond.

The question that follows: What is an acceptable amount of time between receiving a text and responding to it?

Lately, MrDartt has been annoyed because if I'm not on the computer blogging or e-mailing, I'm on the phone (or so he says). But then if I get a text and answer it, I feel like that's just as rude -- you can't continue an in-person conversation with someone if you're reading a text message and then typing a response. Especially if you're a crappy phone typist like I am.

Therefore, my next question is: Isn't it rude to have a text conversation at the same time as you are having an in-person conversation? I think it is, but people do it all the time.

I have this one friend who abbreviates when she texts. I usually know what she's saying, but often have to work hard to figure it out.

Is there a texting abbreviation guideline handbook? If not, there should be. I may have just given away a million dollar idea.

Finally, I have this one friend who always texts. We're trying to schedule a dinner date and we're both busy, so it's like, "How about Wed.?" "Nope, have plans." "How about Tues.?" "Can't, have playgroup." And so on.

So when do you draw the line and just make a flippin' phone call?

I once received a text from a friend, asking me, "How was your Thanksgiving?"

Really? I'm supposed to give her a real answer through texting?

I guess I'm just supposed to say, "Good." Or, "Good turkey." Or, "Okay, with good dessert."

Final question: Is texting the downfall of real coversation? Doesn't anyone have time for real conversations any more?

I understand texting for a quick question, like, "Will you be home tomorrow so I can stop by and say hi?"

But if it's a replacement for real talking, I just plain don't like it. I guess I am getting old.

3 comments:

  1. I totally feel your pain. My sis is a texting freak and for years I have yelled at her for texting while she is with me because I think its so rude. Especially when I'm having a conversation with her and she's not listening beacuase her thumbs are busy. I very recently started texting myself, and do get to the point in a texted conversation where I stop and just call the person (because the texts can get ridiculous sometimes). I do see the merit in texts, however, I try very hard to not text when I am with people, or if I am, text when there is a lull in the person to person conversation. I am also bad at response times, but I figure if they needed a response that badly or if they REALLY needed to know, they could have just called. Its a crazy impersonal word we live in now when people can't even talk to eachother on the phone. I don't like it much either (although on the other hand, sometimes a text can answer you a quick question without getting sucked into a 20 min conversation! lol)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never text, because why wouldn't you just call. And, I will say that I think it is REALLY rude to text someone while you are having a real conversation with someone. Ugghhh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I agree -- texting while having an in-person conversation with someone is rude. But it can be a quick way to get a question answered. I guess that's one good reason for texting. Too bad Emily Post isn't around to publish a book on manners as they pertain to texting.

    ReplyDelete