Saturday, April 25, 2009

On Marriage

Okay, I know MrDartt and I haven't been married very long (3.5 years), but still, you'd think it's been long enough for him to be smart enough to avoid putting his foot in his mouth repeatedly! How are those little piggies tasting, MrDartt?

So, as you know, my mother-in-law and her husband are in town. They arrived Friday, April 17, and were going to be at our house mid-morning. So, between Big Boy throwing up all day Tuesday and having diarrhea all day Wednesday and then taking Little Boy for his checkup Thursday, I was busy at home, and still did my best to pick up toys and keep up with dishes. I even mopped the floor (that's rare around here). The kitchen counter was empty (no piles).

MrDartt had a long week at work and got home late Thursday night. Friday morning when he woke up, I apparently "badgered" him about giving me compliments regarding all the cleaning I did, before he had time to wake up. So his response: "Well, does it really look that clean to you? Did you notice there's still cat throw up on the floor?"

Well, I noticed the cat throw up but the vacuum was broken (again), and I'd been cleaning up person throw up and leaky diapers all week.

Then, MrDartt's mom and her hubby stayed at my sister-in-law's most of the week, and arrived at our house Thursday morning. They spent the day with me and the boys because MrDartt was working. He made it home for dinner, which I'd cooked, and first thing when he sat down, said my sweet potatoes were "a little overcooked."

He claims he only said that so nobody else would think we thought the sweet potatoes were cooked just right. Ugh.

And don't worry -- I have no illusions -- I KNOW I do annoying stuff to MrDartt.

Here's what I want to know: How do couples survive marriage? How do marriages survive couples?

Here's some of how:

MrDartt does most of the cooking in our house, and most of the hand dishes. He works so hard to be a good father, to build our sons’ confidence and to provide them with a healthy home. He listens to my stories, remembers what my friends are doing and tells me whether my shoes match my outfit. He keeps the kids out of the bathroom while I shower. He needs me to find stuff in the pantry and refrigerator for him. He leaves half-full coffee cups on the kitchen counter, in reach of L (oh, wait, those last two are some of my pet peeves, right?).

Anyway, here's to marriage -- and surviving it!

No comments:

Post a Comment