Thursday, June 11, 2009

Vegetarianism

I'm considering becoming a vegetarian.
For some reason, lately, I've been really grossed out about eating meat. I never thought I'd say this. But I'm thinking about these cows and chickens we eat, and how they walk around in big groups, maybe they're in cages, maybe not, but they're definitely pooping and peeing right on the ground, and then they're walking around in it, and then probably they eat right off the ground, too. And then all that poop and pee goes into their mouths, and into their bloodstreams, and then we EAT THEIR MUSCLES!
And, sometimes, when you're cutting apart chicken, like to shred it for making enchiladas, you can see a vein. And it's bloody.
So MrDartt thinks this is weird, my new thoughts about being a vegetarian. The other night, we used ground elk in a casserole. MrDartt's sister actually shot the elk that provided the meat we used. That is just so close -- almost too close for comfort. I like my meat to come from the store, all wrapped up in plastic.
Last night, when MrDartt wasn't home, I made black bean burgers for dinner. They actually turned out really well, despite the fact that when I wasn't looking, Big Boy dumped about a cup of vanilla flavored soy milk into the beans he was supposed to be mashing. So much for giving him a job. I dumped out the milk and the burgers tasted pretty good.
So I've cut the buns, and am frying the burgers, and Big Boy decides to make his own burger on a bun. He digs around in the salad and gets some tomatoes and avocadoes, and puts them on his bun. Mind you, the black bean burgers are still in the pan.
"I have a burger," he says, taking a big bite of his tomato-avocado-bun burger.
Maybe I come by this vegetarian stuff naturally.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, if you're seriously considering this check out this blog http://cuisinenie.blogspot.com/ It's the sister blog of a blog I read. She is vegetarian, with the exception of salmon (not sure if she eats other fish, too). She has 4 kids and this is what they eat as a veggie family. I've attempted a few recipes, and they are very good!! (try the mexican lasagna!) Let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. who is this sister that's out shooting elk? Where do you even find elk?

    ReplyDelete