Thursday, June 25, 2009

First Book Club Meeting

Since I've never been in a book club before, I wasn't sure what to do last night at the first meeting of my MOMS Club Book Club (that remains the unofficial name since we couldn't come up with a different one).
Do you bring your book? (I brought mine but didn't even look at it once.)
Do you highlight passages, or put little sticky tabs on special parts, like you do when reading college textbooks? (I did not, but wondered the whole time if I should.)
You read the book, right? (I did.)
Do you come up with discussion questions? (I did not.)
Or do all these things get you labeled as dorky?
Do you want to be the dork of the book club, or is that okay, since book clubs are kind of inherently dorky? Or are they?
When I got there with my over-paprika-ed deviled eggs (that was one of Big Boy's jobs while we were making them), some of the girls mentioned that if you get 5 minutes of discussion about the book, that's great -- book clubs are mostly about food and girl talk.
Another of the girls had come up with a bunch of discussion questions, and wanted to talk about the book the whole time.
We ended up talking about the book quite a bit.
At one point the book club organizer said, "I starred a few parts," and I realized, it's okay to star -- not highlight!

No comments:

Post a Comment