Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Traffic School, revisited again

I think this will be my last post about traffic school.
So there's this guy, he's wearing a plaid shirt and he's sitting in the front row. I'd put him in his 60s. Remember Spiky, from the first traffic school post? She's saved her picture from her photo radar ticket to show her daughter how good she looks driving and she wants to know EXACTLY when to slow down when exiting the freeway.
Anyway, the instructor started talking about road rage and what to do if somebody gets raged at you. Mostly you're supposed to diffuse the situation but if it's really bad you can call the police, he said.
Then, the guy in the plaid shirt told a story about how he cut someone off by accident, and that guy followed him home and leapt out of his car to start fighting the plaid shirt guy. Plaid shirt guy said, "I had just been out doing some target practice and I was glad I had my gun in the backseat. As soon as he saw my gun, the guy took off."
Two things you should know before I continue. This is a gun-toting community. It's not unusual to see someone in Safeway with a gun strapped to his belt. Also, this post is not about gun control.
Spiky says, "WHY were you glad you had your gun?"
The plaid shirt guy says, "Because, as soon as the guy saw it, he took off?"
Spiky says, "So you would have SHOT him?"
The plaid shirt guy says, "Well, if I HAD to!"
Spiky says, "Stupid! Over road rage?"
Someone else in the back of the room said to Spiky, "YOU are stupid!"
Here's why I was annoyed: in Arizona, it's perfectly legal to take your gun and go target shooting. It's also legal, if you have a gun and someone is threatening your life, to shoot that person. People will debate gun control til the cows come home, but the point is that this woman was just so judgemental! Plaid shirt guy was just saying that in defense of his own life, he would have shot the road rager. He wasn't saying he would have leapt out of his own car and shot road rager just for following him home. It wasn't about road rage, as Spiky assumed. I don't know about you but I would be totally freaked out if someone who was visibly angry followed me HOME! Spiky probably would have been freaked out, too, but would have spent 5 minutes deciding what to do when she arrived at her house with the road rager in tow, while he beat her brains out.
It just really irks me when people judge other people's decisions. Spiky doesn't know what she would have done in the situation because it never happened to her. So leave plaid shirt guy alone!
Traffic school was more interesting than I'd anticipated, since I had all these characters in my class. But I'm glad I don't have to go back.

1 comment: