Wednesday, June 17, 2009

My leaves and stick

I finally did it.
I cut the stick thing on my orchid plant.
I've had this darn orchid plant for a long time now. When I originally bought it, it had two lovely pink flowers at the end of a long stem. Eventually they wilted, shriveled, and fell off. Since then, I've had this plant, with some leaves at the bottom and a great big stick sticking up out of the leaves. One of my friends has been very successful with her orchid plants. She kept telling me, "just water it once a week, and it'll bloom again. Leave it alone, just water it once a week."
"I promise," she said, "it will bloom again."
Well, I've dutifully watered it once a week and nothing. NOTHING! It has grown a few new leaves at the bottom so I think it's healthy. But no blooms.
So last night I called my orchid-growing friend and told her it's been months and all I have are some leaves and a stick. NOW she tells me to cut the stick all the way back. Cut it down to the leaves. So I did. I just cut it. And she tells me I'm going to have some blooms soon. She tells me I'm going to get a new stick and some blooms.
We'll see. Because I'm sick of having some leaves and a stick. And watering.
She said I'd have some blooms in a month.
I'll keep you posted.
Any ideas?

1 comment:

  1. I also just received an orchid. I asked Jeanie for advice because hers grow so well. She let me borrow the orchid book she had. It said for the most common type of orchid to not cut the whole stick. After the blooms have all fallen off and died, cut it back to right before the first bloom was growing. Then you can get two sticks, each with blooms. Who knows?

    ReplyDelete