Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Materialism

Okay, I admit it: I'm totally materialistic. I don't know how to fight it. I'd like to say I'm not, but I am. I want nice stuff. I want more nice stuff. Probably you're thinking, who doesn't? But I know some people who don't even care.
I want my boys to look cute. I buy my 9-month-old shoes. He's not even crawling (give him a break, his head is HUGE -- his doctor even said, "Wow, he has a HUGE head!"). I buy my 2-year-old shoes. Lots of shoes. I have to stop myself from buying him shoes. How many pairs does he need?
I buy myself shoes. Cute shoes. How often do I get to wear cute shoes? If I'm going to a playgroup, I don't wear cute shoes. If I'm going to a storytime, I don't wear cute shoes. Yesterday I had an interview and I wore cute shoes. So I get to wear cute shoes once a month or maybe twice, when I work or when I go on a date with my husband. Otherwise I work from home. I'm barefoot right now.
Here's a list of things I want: a new set of phones for the house (ours are crackly and also there's a Cheerio stuck in the little hanger part of one), a new TV (really, MrDartt wants one but that would be okay with me), a playset for our yard (you know, with swings and a slide and stuff), more shoes, more clothes (I need some new jeans that look nicer -- mostly the knees are worn off from playing on the floor with the boys), a new car (why not?), a new trash can (ours is SO HARD to get the bag out of), a new dishwasher (ours doesn't fit that many dishes). I can think of more stuff but you get the idea.
Anyway, is everybody materialistic? (As I said, I don't think so.)
And how do you fight against it? Because how do you ever save for retirement if you are spending all your money on stuff, stuff, stuff?

1 comment:

  1. I want sod in the backyard, a new double jogger, new clothes, new bedding, a bunkbed for the girls, new silverware, new patio furniture, a swingset...the list goes on!

    ReplyDelete