Friday, June 26, 2009

Catastrophe in the Kitchen

Last night I had another kithen catastrophe.
Little Boy has been waking up between 4:45 a.m. and 5:30 a.m. each day. I was wondering if maybe he needed some protein at dinner so it'd last him longer. So I decided to make him some beef.
I make all his baby food. Veggies are the easiest -- just steam 'em and throw 'em in the food processor. Fruits can be trickier. You have to peel, then cook, then steam, then puree. Meats are terrible.
I've made chicken before, but I tried beef last night. I cooked some meat, and then put it in the food processor. When Big Boy pushed the "High" button, the whole thing jumped off the counter. I quickly pressed it down (it has suction cups on the bottom to hold it down in events like this). So I poured some water in there. I poured more water in there. Still really chunky. More water. Soon, the watery brown stuff was leaking out of the food processor. And it was all filled up. So I poured some of the watery brown stuff into a bowl -- thought I'd do it in two batches.
More water. More leaking.
Still chunky. More water. More leaking.
Second batch, same thing.
So then I got it all mixed up and decided it was way too watery. I added cornstarch. Basically all I could get it to do was be brown water. I don't know how they do it for the jarred stuff.
I don't know how there's even still beef in there.
All this time, I was in a rush because I was supposed to go to my parents' house for dinner (addendum to Lesson on Apostrophes -- if you already have a plural word, like "parents," but you're making it possessive, like "the house that belongs to my parents" then you put the apostrophe after the s -- see above). I was running late. And I was supposed to cook. And time was tickin' away.
So I quickly poured the watery brown stuff into ice cube trays.
And it poured all over the counter. And it was chunky.
The ice cube trays were too full. So I dumped some of the brown liquid into the sink. The sink was now greasy and chunky and dingy.
I could barely find a spot in the freezer to freeze the cubes because the stuff was so watery.
The good news is that I mixed some of the brown watery stuff into peas and carrots for Little Boy and he really liked it. The bad news: he still woke up at 4:45 a.m. today!

1 comment:

  1. Do you ever use tofu? I mix tofu into Seth's food sometimes, and he loves it. Lots of protein. Also, it's SO easy to just mash it up. Good to know about the beef. I won't try and make that!

    ReplyDelete