Sunday, September 27, 2009

My Stay-at-Home Mom Idol

There's a girl in my MOMS Club who is just amazing.
She can craft like there's no tomorrow. Every time she bakes cookies, they're perfectly uniform, super soft and VERY delicious. When I had Little Boy she made me a little door hanger that said, "Shhh, Little Boy is Sleeping." She also made a onesie with "I love MOMS Club" on it. When I ended my term as secretary on the MOMS Club board, she made each board member a little embroidered, personalized handkerchief. Her kids' bedrooms are decorated beautifully, with color-coordinated paints, furniture and accessories. She always makes just the right amount of food for each potluck (for my first MOMS Club potluck function, she hosted and said to make enough for 20 people. Well, I made about 10 gallons of potato salad. More than half of the 20 people were kids 2 and younger so they did not need as much potato salad. MrDartt and I were eating potato salad for weeks. Too bad you can't can potato salad).
Anyway, one time she told me how she hopes her neighbors don't ever hear her screaming at her kids. I just couldn't imagine this sweet woman screaming at her kids.
Then I had my second son.
Now I know why she screams.
Here she is, baking beautifully shaped, perfectly soft, delicious cookies, or hand-stitching a handkerchief.
And one of her kids is on timeout for hitting and he's throwing himself on the floor over and over again. Her other kid is putting his feet in the dog water bowl, splashing around (okay, these are things my kids do while I am baking over-cooked, hard, misshapen cookies, but you get the idea).
And so she's screaming.

1 comment: