Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Time Traveler's Wife - SPOILER ALERT!

My birthday was on Friday and MrDartt surprised me by arranging for my parents to babysit the boys so we could go on a date.
We went to the movie, "The Time Traveler's Wife."
Overall it was a good movie, with an interesting story and mediocre acting.
One thing about it kind of bugged me, though.
If you haven't seen the movie and plan on seeing it, I'm about to give away part of the ending.
When the Time Traveler, Henry, meets the family of his fiancee, Clare, the movie kind of emphasizes how the father is a gun-toting, hunting, Republican. It's kind of a joke. The mother even tells Henry he can bond with the father during a killing spree, as the father and some friends are outside shooting some birds.
Partway through the movie, we find out that the Time Traveler, Henry, eventually gets shot and dies.
Toward the end of the movie, Henry travels back to the same meadow where he originally met Clare. It happens to be just outside the home where Clare grew up. It's winter, and Clare's dad is -- guess what? -- hunting. When Henry lands, naked in the snow, there's a moose (or maybe it's an elk or something, didn't pay too much attention). He's looking at the moose, and then all of a sudden, Clare's dad shoots at the moose/elk and -- guess what? -- shoots Henry, fatally wounding him.
I guess I just felt like the movie had so many other opportunities for killing Henry -- every time he travels through time he has to steal clothes and angry people are always chasing him so maybe one of them could have shot him. Or maybe he could have time traveled right into a gun fight. Or maybe he travels into the Revolutionary War. I mean, if we're sticking with Henry getting shot, the choices are almost endless. Not sure if they movie was making fun of Dick Cheney or what, but it was just kind of a bad choice, I thought. It annoyed me and took away from the drama of the situation.
I still want to read the book (the books are usually better than the movies, and I enjoyed the movie enough to read the book), but definitely am wondering if it turns out the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment