Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Training Wheels

Well, we're getting to the point where Big Boy may officially be big.
He is ready to take the training wheels off his bike.
Last year at this time, we were potty training, so this must be his annual Big Thing.
I remember when he first got this bike, for his second birthday. We helped him ride it around and around and around and around and around our house (there's a kind of "track" in the house, which goes from the front door, through the dining room and kitchen, through the living room, and then back to the front door).
It took him a long time to learn how to pedal on his own, with us helping him, saying, "push," over and over!
So needless to say, now that we're taking off the training wheels, my back is killing me. The first day, MrDartt and I took turns helping Big Boy ride in circles on the driveway (he has much too much speed now to ride inside).
Yesterday was Day Two with no training wheels, and I was on my own. Big Boy kept listing to the right. I kept saying, "you're leaning this way." I made him practice -- I held him up, but leaned him to the right, and coached him to straighten the bike up again.
But again, he was listing to the right.
Finally, after about eight thousand laps of the driveway, I said, "Why do you think you keep leaning this way?"
He said, "Probably because we took my training wheels off."
Right.

No comments:

Post a Comment