Thursday, September 16, 2010

I'll have my husband get back to you

In case any of you were wondering, yes, there are still sexist jerks around in 2010.
Okay, so for those of you who don't know me, here's a quick description. I'm about 5 feet, 6 inches tall, about 125 pounds, with reddish-brownish hair and lots of freckles. When I'm not wearing make-up (particularly mascara), I look like I don't have any eyelashes.
So today, I wasn't wearing make-up when the solar panel engineer guy came to our house to take measurements.
Here's how it went down:
The guy was supposed to be here at 2 p.m., by which time I'd planned to have the chicken (touted as delicious whole slow cooker chicken) in the Crock Pot. He showed up at 1:40, when I was in the middle of cutting the skin off the chicken. So I went outside and brought the dogs in, as the solar guy was still sitting in his truck.
A few minutes later, I heard him shouting, "Hello? Hello?"
Yes, he was standing outside the gate, shouting, "Hello?"
So I went outside and he asked if this was the Dartt residence, to which I replied, yes, it is.
So then he says, "Is it your dad?"
I say: "My dad what?"
He flips through his papers and says, "Um .... MrDartt."
"Nope, that's my husband," I answer.
"Is he home?"
"No."
"Okay, so should I just talk to him by phone then?"
"About what?"
"I just want to go over a few things about what will happen next."
"You can talk to me about that."
"Okay. I'll just take some measurements and come back inside."
So he starts heading around the house, and comes back within about 20 minutes, by which time I still haven't gotten the delicious whole slow cooker chicken into the Crock Pot.
"All right," he says, "I'm all done."
"Okay, do you want to come in?" I ask, quite pleasantly.
"Oh, no, I'm pretty much done."
"Didn't you say you had some things to discuss?"
"Oh, well, I answered all my own questions."
Seriously?
I'll bet you five bucks he's on the phone with my husband right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment